One of the main reasons that make the destination Aegean particularly popular among sailors, is the Meltemi (phenomenon known since ancient times as Etisiai) seasonal northward direction winds, 5 to 7 Beaufort prevailing from May to September. For the more experienced sailors, the Meltemi offer excellent sailing conditions, reducing distances between islands, traveling with a chartered yacht under sail.
The most popular destinations for sailing in the Aegean
1. Attica: Started sailing in the Aegean, one of the most popular starting points are Attica. It has many luxurious marinas, with high quality services, such as the Zea marina, the Athens Marina and the marina Flisvos -which can accommodate even super yacht- as the Alimos marina -which is the basis for most charter boats.
On the east side, Lavrion, there is the Olympic Marine who has extensive facilities for sailing. The chartered yachts and sailing ships are very common and there are too many options to sail with crewed or bareboat, small and large. Most charter companies still undertake the transfer from and to the airport for their clients, offering them integrated experiences seafood packages.
2. Sea with bow Cyclades: The Cyclades are a particularly attractive destination for yachting, mainly because of their picturesque and the short distance from Athens. The contrast of white and blue houses most symbolizes Greece internationally. But the short distances between islands offer many options, even for a short holiday. Distances between the islands are covered in a day, so you can call and a different destination each day.
3. Kea, Kythnos, Serifos, Syros Apopleontas from a marina in Attica, especially from the west coast, you will find the order number of Greek islands that cause you to discover your yacht: the Kea (Kea), Kythnos, Serifos and east Syros, the capital of the Cyclades. There you can also charter boat to start your exploration or the deliver on their end of travel and return by plane or boat. The stately Hermoupolis, with large and safe harbor, is a destination definitely worth visiting by boat.
4. Tinos, Mykonos, Andros: Perfect destinations Tinos and Mykonos, though needs some attention due to more intense winds usually prevail, and the most powerful wave, which "descends" from the narrow Dardanelles, with the usual Gregou (BA. winds). Cosmopolitan Andros has to offer apart from its beautiful beaches, the authentic beauty of the country. It has a port located on the opposite side of the bay and keeps well almost all times.
5. Sifnos, Paros, Naxos Sifnos, Paros and Naxos are further south and are traditional tourist options, with great alternatives deserted coves, which protect it from the north winds usually prevail in the Aegean. All these islands, indeed, are good and filling stations for fuel and water, but also for any kind of shopping. Paros is also internationally known for windsurfing competitions, which are held every year because of the constant winds without wave.
6. Milos Milos is located south offers unique "lunar" landscapes and amazing beaches. The Adamas bay is a safe natural harbor, which has vessels and facilities and services. If you arrive in Milos, be sure to visit the Kleftiko in the southern part of the island.
7. Sikinos, Folegandros: Sikinos and Folegandros, even further south, is the most picturesque islands of the Cyclades: ideal scenery for sailing, have scarce tourists and rare beauty. Their ports are small, with several amenities.
8. Amorgos and Icarus: The Wave of the Sea, because of the density of the islands, is low, but many times as possible. Especially the transition from Amorgos, north or south, and the crossing of the Ikarian Sea, with strong winds, require naval experience. The spectacle, however, the monastery of Panagia Chozoviotissa, which is carved into the rock, hanging over the sea, is the best compensation.
9. Santorini The volcanic Santorini, one of the most famous Greek islands, is a rare and unique attraction in the world, especially katapleontas sea, with several mooring facilities and facilities for boats.
10. Koufonisia: A worthy destination for those who are looking for low destinations tons, without lacking anything from authentic Cycladic flavor, are Koufonissia. The big Koufonissi even has new marina and can form the basis for exploring the surrounding marine area, which is full of islands and islets. It is common to countless secluded coves to find fountarismena competent boats, visiting the islands with their tender.
11. Sporades: Going north, the Sporades, as the islands of Northern Aegean, characterized by dense vegetation that reaches the coast. Skiathos, Skopelos, Alonissos vie with each other in nature and vegetation. Skyros, the rock is built the country dominating over the island, stands out from afar. The distances between them are small and you can visit them all. All islands have ports that can bind to refuel while countless bays offered fountarisma committee.
12. Bow to the Dodecanese: The Dodecanese islands are not far from one another, so you can visit one or more each day. The Dodecanese, which are the most ideal destination for sailing with a motor yachts around the Aegean islands you'll find a lot of nice places worth seeing while you are in the area. Rhodes, the capital of the Dodecanese region with luxury marinas, Leros and Kos with the equally excellent facilities for yachts to secluded Lipsi, Arki and Agathonisi Dodecanese are offered for discoveries at sea and ashore.